Dog Cushing’s Disease Explained
Cushing’s disease occurs when your dog’s body produces too much cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone helping pets respond to stress, control weight, fight infections, and keep blood sugar levels in check. But too much or too little cortisol creates huge problems!
Dog Cushing’s disease is also called hypercortisolism and hyperadrenocorticism. Cushing’s is often difficult for vets to diagnose because it has the same symptoms as many other conditions.
Some veterinarians recommend surgery or pharmaceuticals to cure dog Cushing’s. Holistic vets recommend herbs and supplements before taking more drastic measures.
Cushing’s disease usually affects middle-aged and older dogs, with symptoms, often developing so slowly they often go unnoticed at first.
Here are the most common symptoms reported in our clinics:
- Abnormal hunger
- Abnormal thirst
- Excessive panting
- Excessive urination or abnormal indoor accidents
- Hair loss
- Skin infections
Luckily, Eastern medicine offers a natural, herbal solution for treating the underlying causes of Cushing’s disease in dogs.
Rehmannia 14 Formula: Western Medicine Applications
Rehmannia 14 helps dogs with the following Western diagnoses:
- Cushing’s disease
Rehmannia 14: Eastern Medicine Philosophy
Eastern medicine treats a disease’s root cause(s) rather than symptoms
Accordingly, TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) veterinarians evaluate dog Cushing’s disease differently than regular veterinarians.
TCVM vets look for signs of imbalance.
Rehmannia 14 helps dogs with the following TCVM signs:
- A deep, weak pulse
- A pale, purple, wet tongue
- Kidney Yang Deficiency
- Excessive Thirst
- Excessive urination
How Rehmannia 14 Formula Helps Dog Cushing’s Disease
Rehmannia 14 Formula is a TCVM blend of 10 different Eastern herbs.
The herbs perform synergistically, balancing systems and meridians in the body.
Rehmannia 14 addresses the underlying causes of your dog’s illness or disease.
According to TCVM, the underlying cause of a disease is an imbalance somewhere in the body.
Rehmannia 14 alleviates imbalances while soothing symptoms of dog Cushing’s disease.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, Rehmannia 14 Formula heals underlying causes by:
- Nourishing Yin
- Tonifying Qi
- Tonifying Yang
What Herbs Are In Rehmmania 14?
The main ingredients in Rehmannia 14 are:
- Bai Shao Yao (Paeonia) nourishes Liver Yin and Blood
- Fu Ling (Poria) clears Damp and strengthens Spleen
- Fu Zi (Aconite) warms and tonifies Kidney Yang
- Gui Zhi (Cinnamomum) warms Kidney Yang
- Huang Bai (Phellodendron) clears heat and nourishes Yin
- Huang Qi (Astragalus) tonifies Qi
- Mai Men Dong (Ophiopogon) moistens and nourishes Heart and Lung Yin
- Mu Dan Pi (Moutan) cools Blood, clears Heat, dissipates stagnation
- Shan Yao (Dioscorea) Tonifies Qi and Jing
- Shan Zhu Yu (Cornus) nourishes Liver Yin
- Sheng Di Huang (Rehmannia) nourishes Yin and Jing
- Wu Wei Zi (Schisandra) consolidates and nourishes Lung Yin
- Ze Xie (Alisma) benefits urination and clears deficient fire
- Zhi Mu (Anemarrhena) clears Heat and promotes body fluid and Yin
Contraindications: Rehmannia 14 formula should not be used during pregnancy. Also, Rehmannia 14 may cause a positive drug test.
Dr. Huisheng Xie, the founder of the Chi Institute in Reddick, FL, created Rehmannia 14 specifically for animals.
Dr. Xie based Rehmannia 14 on the ancient Chinese formula Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan, written in 220 AD by Zhang Zhong-Jing. from Jin Gui Yao Lue Fang Lun (Synopsis of Prescriptions from the Golden Cabinet).
Rehmannia 14 works best when combined with plenty of water, Eastern Food Therapy, and moderate exercise.
Get Rehmannia 14 Formula at TCVM Pet Supply
Note: Information on this site is provided for educational purposes only and is not meant to substitute the advice provided by your own veterinarian.
More Powerful Tools for Dog Cushing’s Disease Health Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing Cushing’s disease challenges.
- Learn more about Cushing’s Disease.
- Try Home Cooking. Visit our Recipe Page, and scroll down to the recipes for dogs with Cushing’s disease. Often, home-cooking makes a huge difference in helping dogs feel better!
- Supplement with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune Mushroom Blend eases inflammatory response and immune system stress caused by Cushing’s.
- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. PET | TAO Harmonize GI boosts gut health, which in turn helps your dog better process all food nutrients. Improved gut health also boosts immunity and calms allergic response.
- Feed Freeze Dried Liver Treats. According to TCVM, when Cushing’s disease is present there is almost always Liver Meridian involvement. Liver treats provide Liver Meridian support like a glandular supplement (Western theory) and via 5-Element Theory (Eastern theory).
- Learn about natural remedies. A combination of melatonin and lignans supplementation helps many dogs suffering from Cushing’s.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for Cushing’s disease. A good example is: