How Does Uva Ursi Help With Your Dog’s Bladder?
Uva Ursi is a powerful tool for promoting and maintaining your dog’s bladder health.
How do you know your dog has bladder issues?
Here are a few tell-tale signs your pup has bladder issues:
- Accidents in the house
- Dark and cloudy urine or blood in the urine
- Straining to urinate or unable to pass urine
- Drinking more water than usual
- Licking his or her urinary openings
- Acting lethargic, vomiting, or not eating
Take your dog to the vet if he or she experiences these symptoms.
A holistic vet who practices Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM) may recommend a supplement in addition to traditional treatment.
What is Uva Ursi?
Uva ursi, also known as Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, is a plant with leaves used for medicine.
The words“Uva ursi” means “bear’s grape” in Latin because bears enjoy eating the fruit of the plant.
The amazing fruit is known for its uses with urinary tract disorders such as kidney and bladder infections.
Why is Uva Ursi Beneficial for Soothing Dog Bladders?
1. Uva Ursi Reduces Bacteria in the Urine
Uva ursi contains a compound called arbutin.
In a high-acid urinary tract, the natural chemical compound becomes hydroquinone, an antiseptic and glucose.
However, research shows crude plant extracts are more effective medicinally than isolated arbutin.
2. It Doesn’t Acidify the Urine
Uva ursi is more astringent than cranberry juice and is more appropriate for low pH (high acid) urine.
The high tannin content makes the plant a member of the Heath family and is helpful in urinary tract problems with minor bleeding in the urine.
Because of the tannins, animals with pre-existing kidney disease should not use it all.
3. Uva Ursi Is Effective Against E. coli Bacteria
In vitro studies using extracts of uva ursi leaf demonstrate antimicrobial activity against UTI-causing organisms such as C. albicans, E. coli, S. aureus, and Proteus vulgaris, and others.
4. It Is Antilithic
Antilithic plants help prevent the formation of stones in the urinary tract and remove those already formed.
Researchers differ opinions on whether antilithic herbs dissolve stones or aid the body in passing them by promoting urine flow to flush kidneys.
5. It May Prevent Bladder Infections
In one study, prophylactic use of uva ursi extract over a period of a year proved effective in preventing recurrent cystitis.
In another study of 57 patients with recurrent bladder infections who took the extract or a placebo for one year, none of the 30 patients receiving the extract had a recurrence. Five of the 27 patients given a placebo had a recurrence.
The German Commission E recommends uva ursi as a treatment for urinary problems.
Does It Have Side Effects?
Uva ursi can possibly irritate the kidneys when used long term. Safety for pregnant or nursing animals has is not proven.
How to Use Uva Ursi with Other Herbs and Compounds
Uva Ursi’s benefits are best when combined with other compounds.
Learn more about PET | TAO’s Soothe Bladder Supplement.
Other Powerful Tools to Help Your Dog’s Urinary Tract & Bladder Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing urinary tract challenges.
- Learn more about dog urinary tract challenges.
- Provide bladder support. PET | TAO’s Soothe Bladder is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to soothe your dog’s bladder and urinary tract.
- Consider a Cooling Diet. PET | TAO’s Chill cools inflammation caused by infection. Make sure to discuss any dietary changes with your holistic vet.
- Try PET | TAO Freeze Dried Beef Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, kidney controls kidney, bladder, and urinary tract functions. As few as 5-6 treats per day can make a huge difference in your urinary tract and bladder health!
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for canine bladder and urinary health challenges. Some good examples are: