How Juniper Berry Supports Pet Bladder Health
Juniper Berry helps with many dog bladder challenges.
For example, does your pet do any of the following:
- Have accidents in the house?
- Have dark and cloudy urine or show blood?
- Strain to urinate?
- Drink more water than usual?
- Licks his or her urinary openings?
- Show lethargy, vomiting or won’t eat?
These symptoms could be caused by a urinary tract infection (UTI) or something more serious such as:
- Kidney failure
- Cushing’s disease
- Bladder tumor
- Bladder or kidney stones
- Non-infectious bladder inflammation (sterile cystitis)
- A “foreign body”
Take your pup to the vet immediately if these symptoms present.
A traditional veterinarian may prescribe antibiotics, urinary acidifiers, or increased water intake for UTIs.
However, a veterinarian trained in Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM) may recommend the addition of a holistic supplement containing juniper, such as PET | TAO’s Soothe Bladder Supplement.
What is Juniper Berry?
Junipers are coniferous plants ranging in size from tall trees to low-spreading shrubs.
Evergreen junipers have approximately 50-60 species, bearing needle-like leaves and cones with seeds.
The juniper berry is actually the female seed cone, which looks similar to a blueberry but may be red or orange in color.
Medical professionals administered juniper berries medicinally in Europe dating back 200 years ago.
Historically, the berries treat tapeworms, colic, urinary and gastrointestinal infections.
Juniper is Beneficial for Soothing Dog Bladders
Juniper’s berries are excellent for treating UTIs.
Their antibacterial and antifungal properties fight the infection, while a volatile oil component of the berry called terpinen-4-ol helps filter the kidneys.
In fact, studies reveal juniper berry oil could fight bacteria and fungi resistant to antibiotics.
The berries’ diuretic effect increases urine flow, helping to flush out infection by diluting the urine and cleansing the bacteria.
Berries from the juniper shrub are also anti-inflammatory, providing pain relief for bladder infections and UTIs.
The berries’ antioxidant effect is proven in scientific studies.
The oil can boost antioxidants in the body such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase and glutathione peroxidase.
Glutathione peroxidase is linked to the prevention of diseases like cancer and heart disease.
Additionally, berries from the juniper shrub are high in flavonoid and polyphenols, with strong free radical fighting capabilities.
Does Juniper Have Side Effects?
The berries can decrease blood sugar.
Use only as directed by your veterinarian. Responses to supplements may vary by animal.
Safety for pregnant or nursing animals is not proven.
How to Use Juniper Berries with Other Herbs and Compounds
The berry’s benefits are best when combined with other compounds.
Seeking an all-natural supplement to soothe your dog’s bladder?
Learn more about PET | TAO’s Soothe Bladder Supplement.
Powerful Tools to Help Your Dog’s Urinary Tract & Bladder Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing urinary tract challenges.
- Learn more about dog urinary tract challenges.
- Provide bladder support. PET | TAO Soothe Bladder is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to soothe your dog’s bladder and urinary tract.
- Consider a Cooling Diet. PET | TAO Chill cools inflammation caused by infection. Make sure to discuss any dietary changes with your holistic vet.
- Try PET | TAO Freeze Dried Beef Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, kidney controls kidney, bladder, and urinary tract functions. As few as 5-6 treats per day can make a huge difference in your dog’s urinary tract and bladder health!
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for canine bladder and urinary health challenges. Some good examples are: