What is Cushing’s Disease?
Dog Cushing’s disease is a condition resulting from the chronic overproduction of glucocorticoid.
In normal dogs, the pituitary gland produces the hormone ACTH.
ACTH stimulates the adrenal glands to produce glucocorticoids.
Glucocorticoid hormones are necessary for the proper function of many-body systems.
When something goes wrong with the pituitary or adrenal glands causing too much glucocorticoid production, Cushing’s disease develops.
Symptoms of dog Cushing’s disease include:
- Fat pads on shoulders and neck
- Hair loss
- Increased hunger, panting, thirst
- Increased urination
- Pot-bellied abdomen
- Thin skin.
Luckily, Eastern medicine offers a natural, herbal remedy for dog Cushing’s disease.
Ophiopogon Formula Powder: Western Medicine Applications
Ophiopogon Powder is a TCVM blend of 12 different herbs.
Even though Ophiopogon Powder is a TCVM herb, it still helps some Western diagnoses and symptoms.
Ophiopogon Powder helps dogs with the following Western diagnoses:
- Cushing’s disease
- Insulin resistance
Eastern Medicine Applications
Eastern medicine treats a disease’s root cause(s) rather than symptoms.
Accordingly, TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) vets use a different evaluation process than Western veterinarians.
TCVM vets look for signs of imbalance.
Ophiopogon Powder helps dogs with the following TCVM signs:
- Dry skin with hot ears and feet
- Panting excessively with nighttime outbursts
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Yin deficiency
- Thready, fast pulse
- Red, dry tongue.
Treats Your Dog’s Cushing Disease
Ophiopogon Powder is a Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine blend of 12 different Eastern herbs.
The herbs perform synergistically, balancing systems and meridians in the body.
Ophiopogon Powder addresses the underlying causes of your dog’s illness or disease.
The underlying cause of any disease is always some type of imbalance.
Ophiopogon Powder alleviates your dog’s imbalances and soothes the painful symptoms of illness and disease at the same time.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ophiopogon Powder heals by:
- Nourishing Yin
- Clearing Heat
- Promoting body fluids.
What are the Ingredients in Ophiopogon Powder?
The main ingredients in Ophiopogon Powder are:
- Bei Sha Shen (Glehnia) nourishes Yin.
- Dan Zhu Ye (Lophatherum) clears heat.
- Ge Gen (Pueraria) promotes body fluids.
- Huang Qin (Scutellaria) clears heat.
- Lu Gen (Phragmites) clears heat and promotes body fluids.
- Mai Men Dong (Ophiopogon) nourishes Yin.
- Shan Zha (Crataegus) resolves food stasis.
- Shen Qu (Massa) resolves food stasis.
- Tian Hua Fen (Trichosanthes) clears heat and promotes body fluids.
- Wu Mei (Mume) astringently consolidates the lung.
- Yu Li Ren (Prunus) moves blood.
- Zhi Mu (Anemarrhena) nourishes Yin and clears heat.
Dr. Huisheng Xie, the founder of the Chi Institute in Reddick, FL, created Ophiopogon Powder specifically for animals.
Dr. Xie based the Ophiopogon Formula Powder on the ancient TCM formula Mai Men Dong San.
Ophiopogon Formula works best when combined with Eastern Food Therapy and moderate exercise.
Other Powerful Tools for Thriving with Cushing’s Disease
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing Cushing’s disease challenges.
- Learn more about Cushing’s Disease.
- Try Home Cooking. Visit our slow-cooker recipe page, and scroll down to the recipes for dogs with Cushing’s disease. Often, home-cooking makes a huge difference in helping dogs feel better!
- Supplement with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune is a medicinal mushroom blend for easing inflammatory response and immune system stress caused by Cushing’s.
- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. PET | TAO Harmonize GI boosts gut health, which in turn, helps your dog better process all food nutrients. Improved gut health also boosts immunity and calms allergic response.
- Feed Freeze Dried Liver Treats. According to TCVM, as when Cushing’s disease is present there is almost always Liver Meridian involvement. Liver treats provide Liver Meridian support like a glandular supplement (Western theory) and via 5-Element Theory (Eastern theory).
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for Cushing’s disease. A good example is: