Pets experience pain for a variety of reasons.
Sometimes younger dogs feel pain and inflammation after surgery or an injury.
Older dogs often experience pain due to arthritis or other inflammatory diseases.
Pets experiencing pain due to arthritis or other forms of inflammation are often prescribed pharmaceuticals or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) by veterinarians.
Unfortunately, these medications often have dangerous side effects.
Veterinarians practicing Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM) are often more open to suggesting gentler option with fewer side effects.
For example, some vets recommend an all natural supplement with Boswellia for dogs to eliminate pain.
What is Boswellia?
Boswellia serrata, also known as Indian Frankincense, is a resinous gum extract of the boswellia bush.
Salai guggal, the oleogum resin of the Boswellia Serrata tree, was used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat pain, inflammation, and other illnesses for centuries.
In fact, the Sanskrit name, Gajabhakshya, suggests humans observed elephants eating Boswellia serrata trees, which grow in northwest India.
Elephants’ longevity and physical capacity led early doctors to believe the intake of Boswellia might benefits humans as well.
Boswellia, which is native to India, contains Boswellia, alpha, and beta boswellic acids, which have known anti-inflammatory properties.
Researchers from the Regional Research Laboratory in Jammu, India found oleogum from Boswellia serrata as effective in treating inflammation.
During the study, rats with swelling in their paws experienced a 39-75% reduction of inflammation, compared to 47% reduction from NSAIDs.
The studies were conducted in order to find anti-inflammatory substances without the harmful side effects, such as gastric ulcers and bleeding, of NSAIDs.
Why is Boswellia Beneficial for Alleviating Dog Pain?
The compounds in Boswellia decrease glycosaminoglycan degradation and inhibit mediators of autoimmune disorders, slowing the progression of cartilage damage in arthritic joints.
According to research from a Swiss study, dogs with osteoarthritis and degenerative conditions given Boswellia serrata extract experienced relief from symptoms.
After two weeks of treatment, researchers found the dogs showed 71% improvement in symptoms.
After six weeks, dogs showed reduced lameness and increased smoothness of gait.
Studies reveal boswellic acid blocks the pro-inflammatory enzyme 5-lipoxygenase, inhibiting the synthesis of leukotrienes.
Both enzymes contribute to chronic inflammation in diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, cancer, and asthma.
By blocking the enzymes, boswellic acid reduces inflammation and prevents cartilage loss.
Does Boswellia Have Side Effects?
Boswellia carries mild and rare side effects, including possible mild diarrhea or flatulence.
How to Use Boswellia with Other Herbs and Compounds
Boswellia’s benefits are best when combined with other compounds.
Yucca and Boswellia are anti-inflammatories aiding in the joint rebuilding process.
Seeking an all natural supplement with boswellia to alleviate pain in your dog?
Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Arthritis Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing dog arthritis pain.
- Learn more about dog arthritis.
- Try cooking for your dog or feeding a high-quality dog food. Home-cooked diets and wet food help keep your pet from gaining too much weight. In turn, less weight means less stress on your dog’s bones and joints. PET | TAO’s Chill and Blaze are top choices for arthritic dogs.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO’s Comfort is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO’s Harmonize Joint is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s joints.
- Try Freeze Dried Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, Kidney controls the bones and joints and supports arthritic challenges in a “like treats like” manner.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog arthritis. Some good examples are: