How arthritis pain in dogs can be remedied with TCVM?
TCVM philosophy is very different from standard Western medical practices, in that:
Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM) focuses on balance and finding the cause of the problem rather than simply masking symptoms.
For example, TCVM focuses on the whole dog – including the subtleties of temperament and behavior, as well as physical indications.
Western Medicine, in general, focuses mostly on treating symptoms rather than causes.
In this section, we will examine both the Traditional Chinese Medicine indications and the Western Medicine indications that lead us to recommend herbs for dog arthritis pain.
Powdered Herbs for Arthritis Pain
Cervical Formula is formulated with herbs chosen to work synergistically to relieve the symptoms of neck pain and stiffness in dogs. At the same time, Cervical Formula addresses the underlying causes of these symptoms.
Western Medical Indications:
- Neck pain
- Neck stiffness
- Cervical Qi and Blood stagnation
- Purple tongue
- Wiry, tight pulse
Cervical Formula is very effective in neck injuries as well as stiffness. It will also activate Blood, move Qi, dissipate stagnation and relieve pain.
The main ingredients in Cervical Formula are:
- Bai Shao Yao (Paeonia) to nourish Blood
- Chuan Xiong (Ligusticum) to activate Blood and relieve pain
- Dang Gui Wei (Angelica) to nourish and activate Blood
- Gan Cao (Glycyrrhiza) to harmonize
- Ge Gen (Pueraria) to clear Wind-Heat and benefit the neck
- Gui Zhi (Cinnamomum) to warm the Channels and relieve pain
- Ji Xue Teng (Millettia) to nourish and activate Blood
- Mu Gua (Chaenomeles) to dissipate stagnation and benefit the Channels
- Qiang Huo (Notopterygium) to benefit the neck
Body Sore Herbal Formula
Body Sore Herbal Formula is an herbal blend specially formulated with herbs specifically chosen to work synergistically to relieve the symptoms of soft tissue injuries, back pain and musculoskeletal pain in dogs while at the same time addressing the underlying causes of these symptoms.
Western Medical Indications:
- Back pain
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Soft tissue injuries
- Channel blockage
- Qi stagnation
- Blood stagnation
- Fast pulse
- Purple tongue
The Chinese principles of treatment for Body Sore herbal blend are to invigorate the Qi/Blood, resolve stagnation, and relieve pain.
The main ingredients in the Body Sore herbal formula are:
- Bu Gu Zhi (Psoralea) to strengthen the bone and tonify Yang
- Chi Shao (Paeonia) to relieve pain and cool Blood
- Chuan Niu Xi (Cyathula) to strengthen bones and limbs
- Chuan Xiong (Ligusticum) to relieve pain and activate Blood
- Dang Gui (Angelica) to activate Blood, resolve stagnation, and relieve pain
- Du Huo (Angelica) to relieve pain and eliminate Wind-Damp
- Du Zhong (Eucommia) to strengthen back and tonify Yang
- Hong Hua (Carthamus) to break down Blood stasis and relieve pain
- Ji Xue Teng (Millettia) to nourish blood
- Mo Yao (Myrrh) to move Blood and relieve pain
- Qiang Huo (Notopterygium) to relieve pain and activate Blood
- Ru Xiang (Olibanum) to move Blood and relieve pain
- Tao Ren (Persica) to break down Blood stasis and relieve pain
- Tu Si Zi (Cuscuta) to nourish Kidney and Liver
- Yan Hu Suo (Corydalis) to move Qi/Blood, resolve stagnation and relieve pain
- Yin Yang Huo (Epimedium) to tonify Kidney Yang and Yin
This herbal blend is derived from the ancient Chinese herbal formula Shen Tong Zhu Yu Tang from Yi Lin Gai Cuo, which was written in 1830 by Wang Qing-Ren.
Herbal Oils for Arthritis Pain
Frankincense Relieves Soreness
Many of the herbal formulas used at Dr. Smith’s practice Natchez Trace Veterinary Services contain Frankincense as one of the main ingredients, so we thought you may be interested in the history, use and effects of this amazing herb.
This Traditional Chinese herbal blend is formulated using:
- Notoginseng Root (san qi)
- Angelica Tang Kuei (dang gui)
- Frankincense (ru xiang)
- Myrrh (mo yao)
- Carthamus (hong hua)
- Achyranthes (huai nui xi)
This formula is especially for dogs and helps manage discomfort and support the normal healing process.
From a traditional Chinese standpoint, normal, everyday activity and exercise can lead to acute stasis or stagnation of blood. With time, this stagnation affects the flow of energy, or Qi (pronounced “chee”), to the affected area.
Frankincense Relieves Soreness works by moving the blood and energy in the affected area. Without the stagnation of blood, the discomfort diminishes, returning the dog to full function as quickly as possible.
Frankincense, sometimes called olibanum, is a gum-resin.
Historically, it wa3s one of the most valuable substances in the world and the source of a major trade empire.
Frankincense comes from the Boswellia sacra tree. This tree only grows in very arid conditions and in a limited geographic range along the Arabian Peninsula and the northeast coast of Somalia. The Frankincense “gum resin” bleeds out of the trunk and branches of the tree when the outer bark is removed. The resin hardens into little white blobs which are then harvested by hand.
Frankincense in Eastern Medicine
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Frankincense is called Ru Xiang. When taken internally properties are pungent, bitter, and warm and Frankincense health benefits mainly occur in the heart, liver, and spleen meridians. It used to:
- Invigorate blood
- Alleviate pain
- Dispel blood stasis
- Promote movement of Qi
- Relax sinews
- Reduce swellings
- Generate flesh
Frankincense in Western Medicine
In Western Herbal Medicine, it is taken internally and used as a powerful anti-arthritic, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory. It has been shown to help:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Studies indicate Frankincense may even protect cartilage from deterioration and damage before it occurs.
It is best to avoid heating the oil in a burner because heating might alter the chemical properties of the essential oil.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Arthritis Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing dog arthritis pain.
- Learn more about dog arthritis.
- Try cooking for your dog or feeding a high-quality dog food. Home-cooked diets and wet food help keep your pet from gaining too much weight. In turn, less weight means less stress on your dog’s bones and joints. PET | TAO Chill and Blaze are top choices for arthritic dogs.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO Comfort is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO Harmonize Joint is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s joints.
- Try Freeze Dried Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, Kidney controls the bones and joints and supports arthritic challenges in a “like treats like” manner.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog arthritis. Some good examples are: