Poochy’s eyes are red and runny, his eyelids are swollen, and he looks miserable.
Sounds like either an eye infection or dog eye allergies.
In fact, allergies can cause infections especially if Poochy:
- Rubs his eyes with his paws
- Rubs his face and head in the dirt or grass to relieve itching
- Scratches at his eyes with his nails
Dog Eye Allergy Symptoms
Here are some common symptoms:
- Dog eye discharge – runny, watery, translucent (if this discharge is pus-like, it is more likely an infection)
- Inflammation of the white part of the eye (conjunctivitis – could also be an infection)
- Inflammation of the eyelids
- Excessive tearing
- Sneezing combined with any of the above
Eye treatments for dog eye allergies almost invariably include antihistamines.
Treating dog eye allergies with Benadryl brand antihistamine is a common first option.
An antihistamine blocks the production of histamines.
Histamines are the body’s natural response to foreign objects, such as pollen or dust.
Histamines cause inflammation, pain, redness, and swelling
Alternatives to Antihistamines
If Poochy has more severe allergic reactions, you have additional options like:
- Topical medications/creams
- Eye drops that contain steroids
There are many. Some of the more simple home remedies are:
- Washing Poochy’s eyes with warm chamomile water
- Using air purifiers to reduce mold, pollen, and dust in the environment
Poochy might have a food allergy that is causing his eye distress.
So, think about a food trial or diets formulated for dogs with allergies.
If you suspect Poochy’s allergies are caused by parasites or insect bites, make sure his fleas meds are current.
You may want to give him a flea bath.
Also, make sure his bedding and wherever he relaxes is flea free.
Dog eye allergies are very similar to eye allergies in humans.
No cure exists for either.
The allergy game plan is to try and relieve symptoms and offer relief to the afflicted.
Trial and error may need to be employed in your first treatment doesn’t work.
Keep at it and you’ll achieve success; Poochy will be happier and healthier!
How do you remedy your pup’s watery eyes?
Do you prefer antihistamines or natural solutions like warm chamomile water?
Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Allergy Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing allergy challenges.
- Learn more about dog allergies.
- Switch to a Limited Ingredient Diet. PET | TAO Limited Ingredient Diet is naturally low in foods that stimulate an allergic response.
- Supplement with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune Mushroom Blend eases inflammatory response and allergy symptoms.
- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. PET | TAO Harmonize GI boosts gut health and combats food allergens.
- Feed Freeze Dried Lung Treats. According to TCVM, Lung is on the same meridian as the skin. Therefore, lung treats help both breathing and skin allergies. Lung treats support lung and skin similar to a glandular supplement in a “like treats like” fashion.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog allergies Some good examples are: