What are Dog Flea Allergies?
Fleas make most dogs itch.
But, some dogs are actually allergic to flea bites.
In medical terms, veterinarians call it “flea allergy dermatitis (FAD)” or
“flea bite sensitivity”.
If your dog is allergic, a single bite can wreak havoc.
Many people think the fleas crawling around on the dogs’ skin is what makes them itchy.
In allergic dogs, it’s the bite that causes the problem, not the crawling fleas.
When the flea bites your dog to draw blood, it injects saliva back into your dog’s skin.
Flea saliva in itself is a little irritating to any dog.
But, in dogs allergic to flea saliva it triggers a very painful and debilitating reaction.
Some allergic dogs even itch for up to two weeks after a single bite!
And, sometimes the itching is so severe the dog damages its own skin by scratching or chewing.
Signs of Dog Flea Allergies
If your dog is always scratching and chewing, he may have flea allergies.
The following signs most often occur on the back legs, stomach, or tail area:
- Bleeding rashes
- Biting at skin
- Hair loss
- Severe irritation
- Skin rash
- Small red or pink bumps on the skin
- Constant scratching
Dogs with flea allergies are miserable.
Flea allergies may cause serious problems and warrant a visit to your veterinarian.
Western Treatment for Dog Flea Allergies
Flea allergies are quite common and veterinarians usually have a standard treatment protocol.
First, your vet will want to talk about your method of flea prevention.
Then, your dog may need an injection or pharmaceutical to ease your dog’s allergy symptoms.
Often, vets prescribe steroid pills or an injection.
Sometimes dogs need a topical hydrocortisone spray to ease itching.
The sad thing about a dog with flea allergies is that flea prevention often doesn’t stop the “first bite”.
Many flea preventatives kill when the flea bites the dog.
If the dog has flea allergies, it’s too late. The allergic reaction is already triggered.
TCVM Philosophy of Dog Flea Allergies
Luckily, TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) has a formula that may help.
TCVM veterinarians have a different concept of flea allergies.
Eastern philosophy treats from a different angle than Western medicine.
TCVM vets first look for the root cause of the problem, rather than simply easing the symptoms.
A TCVM examination is different than a routine vet exam, too.
A TCVM vet checks different pulses, looks at the tongue, and checks other aspects of the animal.
They analyze patterns and constitution to come up with a treatment plan.
TCVM’s goal is to bring your pet back into energetic balance, thus facilitating the natural healing process.
How External Wind Herbal Formula Eases Dog Flea Allergies
External Wind herbal formula helps dogs with the following TCVM indicators:
- Fast and superficial pulse
- Hypersensitive skin
- Red or purple tongue
- Skin allergy due to Wind
- Skin itching and scratching
External Wind herbal formula works by:
- Activating Blood
- Alleviating itching
- Clearing external wind
- Cooling Blood
The ingredients in the External Wind herbal formula are:
- Bia Xian Pi to kill scabies
- Cang Er Zi to clear Wind and open Lung
- Chi Shao to cool Blood and clear Heat
- Di Fu Zi to clear Wind and benefit skin
- Jiang Can to clear Wind and detoxify
- Jing Jie to clear Wind-Cold and relieve itching
- Mu Dan Pi to cool Blood and activate Blood
Dr. Hushing Xie, the founder of the Chi Institute in Reddick, FL, created External Wind herbal formula for animals.
His inspiration was the ancient Chinese formula named Allergy Formula 1.
External Wind Herbal Formula works best combined with plenty of water, TCVM Food Therapy, and appropriate exercise.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Allergies
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help give your dog an edge on easing allergy challenges.
- Learn more about managing dog allergies.
- Switch to a Limited Ingredient Diet. PET | TAO Limited Ingredient Diet is naturally low in foods that stimulate an allergic response.
- Supplement with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune Mushroom Blend eases inflammatory response and allergy symptoms.
- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. PET | TAO Harmonize Gi boosts gut health and combats food allergens.
- Feed Freeze Dried Lung Treats. According to TCVM, Lung is on the same meridian as the skin. Therefore, lung treats help both breathing and skin allergies. Lung treats support lung and skin similar to a glandular supplement in a “like treats like” fashion.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for managing dog allergies Some good examples are: