Traditional veterinarians may recommend Western remedies such as NSAIDs to treat the pain associated with arthritis.
However, a veterinarian practicing Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM) may recommend a natural alternative treating the root cause of the joint inflammation, rather than just the symptoms.
Natural remedies are often gentler than traditional medications.
For example, one study found animals given green-lipped mussel had significantly reduced stomach ulcers resulting from taking NSAIDs.
Additionally, green-lipped mussel for dogs can relieve joint pain caused by bone and cartilage breakdown.
What is Green-Lipped Mussel?
Green-lipped mussel (Perna Canaliculus) is a mollusk harvested from the beaches of New Zealand used to reduce osteoarthritis, asthma, and inflammation.
A high concentration of mucopolysaccharides, which are as important in nutrition as amino acids, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals, comprise the edible shellfish.
In studies, mucopolysaccharides show anti-inflammatory and immunoregulatory effects on connective tissue diseases.
The mucopolysaccharides coat cellular membranes, which increases synovial fluid viscosity.
Supplements containing mucopolysaccharides can be helpful in preventing and treating joint problems.
However, pay attention to the way manufacturers process the supplement.
Mussel supplements processed using steam to open the shell will not be as effective.
Heat processing can destroy some of the most potential benefits in the green lipped mussel.
Why is Green-Lipped Mussel Beneficial for Dog Joint Health?
A study by The American Society for Nutritional Sciences shows green-lipped mussel may be particularly beneficial to dogs with symptoms of arthritis.
Some call green-lipped mussel a “superfood” due to the number of nutrients it contains, such as:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Amino acids
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Vitamins and Minerals
Amino acids like glucosamine are vital for the body’s ability to repair cartilage cells.
Critical for building bone and cartilage, Omega-3s, glucosamine, and chondroitin have multiple benefits and can help dogs with arthritis in multiple ways:
- Reduce inflammation
- Maintain joint cell structure and function
- Facilitate cartilage repair
- Protect against oxidation
Does Green-Lipped Mussel Have Side Effects?
Green-lipped mussel is generally tolerated without many issues, but there have been reports of nausea and flatulence.
Observe your dog over the introductory period for any signs of discomfort and discontinue use if your dog shows any signs of such.
Green-lipped mussel could trigger allergy symptoms if your pup has a seafood allergy.
How to Use Green Lipped Mussel with Other Herbs and Compounds
Green-lipped mussel is even stronger when used in conjunction with other herbs and compounds.
Learn more about PET | TAO’s Harmonize Joint Supplement
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Arthritis Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing dog arthritis pain.
- Learn more about dog arthritis.
- Try cooking for your dog or feeding a high-quality dog food. Home-cooked diets and wet food help keep your pet from gaining too much weight. In turn, less weight means less stress on your dog’s bones and joints. PET | TAO Chill and Blaze are top choices for arthritic dogs.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO Comfort is a blend of herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO Harmonize Joint is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s joints.
- Try Freeze Dried Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, Kidney controls the bones and joints and supports arthritic challenges in a “like treats like” manner.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog arthritis. Some good examples are: