Equine Cushing’s Disease is a dysfunction of the pituitary gland.
Also known as PPID (Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction), Equine Cushing’s Disease is most common in horses between 18 and 12 years old.
Signs of Cushing’s Disease in horses include:
- Abnormal sweating
- Rounded abdomen o“potbelly”
- Change in attitude
- Recurrent infections
- Hypertrichosis (long, curly hair)
- Muscle wasting
- Delayed haircoat shedding
- Decreased athletic performance
- Fat deposits on the neck or tail head
- Increased drinking
- Increased urination
- Infertility or absent reproductive cycle
- Neurological deficits
Ophiopogon Powder: Western Medicine Applications
Luckily, Eastern medicine offers a natural, herbal remedy for Cushing’s Disease in horses.
Even though Ophiopogon Powder is a TCVM herbal blend, it still helps horses with symptoms of some Western diagnoses.
Ophiopogon Powder helps horses with the following Western diagnoses:
- Cushing’s Disease
- Insulin resistance
Ophiopogon Powder: Eastern Medicine Applications
Eastern medicine treats a disease’s root cause(s) rather than symptoms.
Accordingly, TCVM vets use a different evaluation process than Western veterinarians.
TCVM vets look for signs of imbalance.
Ophiopogon Powder helps horses with the following TCVM signs:
- Dry skin with hot ears and feet
- Night-time outbursts
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent/excessive urination
- Yin deficiency
- Thready, fast pulse
- Red, dry tongue
How Ophiopogon Powder Treats Cushing’s Disease in Horses
Ophiopogon Powder is a TCVM blend of 12 different Eastern herbs.
The herbs perform synergistically, balancing systems and meridians in the body.
Ophiopogon Powder addresses the underlying causes of your dog’s illness or disease.
The underlying cause of any disease is always some type of imbalance.
Ophiopogon Powder alleviates your horse’s imbalances and soothes the painful symptoms of illness and disease at the same time.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ophiopogon Powder heals by:
- Nourishing Yin
- Clearing Heat
- Promoting body fluids
What Are the Ingredients in Ophiopogon Powder?
The main ingredients in Ophiopogon Powder are:
- Bei Sha Shen (Glehnia), nourishes Yin
- Dan Zhu Ye (Lophatherum), clears heat
- Ge Gen (Pueraria), promotes body fluids
- Huang Qin (Scutellaria), clears heat
- Lu Gen (Phragmites), clears heat and promotes body fluids
- Mai Men Dong (Ophiopogon), nourishes Yin
- Shan Zha (Crataegus), resolves food stasis
- Shen Qu (Massa), resolves food stasis
- Tian Hua Fen (Trichosanthes), clears heat and promotes body fluids
- Wu Mei (Mume), astringently consolidates the lung
- Yu Li Ren (Prunus), moves blood
- Zhi Mu (Anemarrhena), nourishes yin and clears heat
Dr. Huisheng Xie, founder of the Chi Institute in Reddick, FL, created Ophiopogon Powder specifically for animals.
Dr. Xie based the Ophiopogon Powder herbal formula on the ancient TCM formula Mai Men Dong San.
Ophiopogon Formula works best when combined with Eastern Food Therapy and moderate exercise.
Get Ophiopogon Powder at TCVM Pet Supply
Note: Information on this site is provided for educational purposes only and is not meant to substitute the advice provided by your own veterinarian.